The ABC'S of Promoting your League
Everyone knows that all you need to do is turn on their TV to watch wrestling but most people don't know where to go to find Indy Wrestling shows!
The reason for this is lack of promotion! The general opinion is well we're not on TV so if we get 50 people at are show it was worth it! But Is it really worth it? Indy shows are normally priced anywhere from $10 to $15 dollars per person. It's not a bad price when you figure how much a night out at the movies costs, for example.
Based on that revenue figure Indy Wrestling shows only pull in about $500 to $750 per night which means that they really don't make a profit and for the most part are barely staying afloat!
If a few people in the promotion or volunteering fans got together and worked out a game plan they could draw in several hundred people per show! Word of mouth is not enough if people that hear it know nothing of your product!
I'm going to give you a list of simple promoting tips to help you if you choose to use them! Now if you follow these tips with in a few shows you should see a substantial change in your audience numbers.
Here are some of the most important suggestions I can make:
1. Have your shows in an area where people actually go! In the area of Florida I live in they always have the shows out in the middle of nowhere and it's always hard to find! People do not want to drive all over creation looking for a show. They will get frustrated and go to the movies they know where they are going then!
2. Think about changing your ticket prices a little. For example maybe have a special family deal 2 adults and 2 kids for $25 maybe that would make it more cost efficient for families looking for a reasonable night out!
Don't forget the promoting part of the business:
3. One of the most efficient flyers ever though up are 1/4 page flyers. They are small and most people will stick them in their pocket instead of throwing them in the closest trash can!
4. Now that you have these flyers you need to take them to populated areas to hand out as well as going to life style shops (tattoo parlors, skate parks, and ect) and ask if you can leave some flyers on the counter. You might also want to take some full size flyers in to these shops as well and ask to put some up on the window or behind the counter.
5. You may also want to get an online team together. The sole purpose of your online team is for them to join wrestling related messageboards than they start a buzz on the boards. You get several people to all join the same board than they start a discussion about your promotion. That will get people going "Oh maybe I should check them out"!
If you have only one member promoting on a messageboard they might get accused of spaming the board, which just defeats your purpose! That is something you don't want to do!
These are just a few helpful little hints to help you to draw more people in to your shows! In the coming weeks I will be writing some other helpful columns. They will include how to make a brand name, and some things you shouldn't do because it may seem like a good idea, but may hurt you in the long run!