Pro Wrestling Impact

Pro wrestling coverage of TNA, WWE, and Independent Feds

Monday, March 28, 2005

Steve Corino Interview



Hi Steve.
I wanted to start out by saying thank you for taking the time out of your busy schedule to do this interview for me. I also wanted to started off with asking you some basic questions for any wrestling fans that are not familiar with you.

1. Why did you decide to go in to wrestling?

I was a huge fan of pro-wrestling since I was 8 years old and I knew from the first time that I watched our great sport that I wanted to be a part of it.

2. Did you have support from your friends and family?

My mom used to go with me all the time to the old Philadelphia Civic Center to see the NWA, so she was very supportive of it. My father was a little more practical and didn't want to see me get hurt, but he was happy when it became a full time job for me.

3. Who did you do your training with and where?

I trained in Reading, PA under Tom Brandi and King Kaluha.

4. What was your training like for you?

A lot of training was hard when it came to the ring but Tom and King also taught me the little things like reading a map, marketing yourself, putting together matches that make sense. Stuff that you can't do in the ring.

5. You made your wrestling debut in 1994. What was your first match like?

HAHA. I was so nervous that I thought I was going to throw up! I am sure the match was down right awful but hopefully I got a little better since then!

6. When you wrestled for NWA did you think that "The Franchise" Shane Douglas was being fair when he said that NWA was a "dead" promotion?

At the time it was a dead promotion but I would hope to think that fans look at me as a guy that gave his heart and soul for over six months in 2001 to build the title and NWA name back up.

7. Since NWA had some of the older more experienced wrestlers such as Dusty Rhodes. Did you get a chance to wrestle any of your heroes? If so who and what was the experience like for you?

I have been so lucky to have wrestled almost all of my heroes. Guys like Dusty, Barry Windham, Al Perez, Riki Choshu, Shinya Hashimoto, Shinjiro Otani, Tommy Rich, and Mr. Wrestling II to name a few are some of the heroes I have gotten to work with on some level and it has been great.

8. You were ECW World Champion did you feel cheated or bothered that they didn't show you or mention you on "The Rise and Fall of ECW" DVD?

Not at all. There were reasons they kept me out of the DVD but I thought it was really well done and I loved every second of it.

9. How do you think your "old school" style of wrestling fit in with ECW?

It worked perfectly. At first it got great heel heat and before I knew it people were cheering. ECW was an amazing time for me.

10. I have read conflicting stories about weather or not ECW owed you money. Would you like to set the record straight?

Its a question I get asked a lot. Paul Heyman and ECW don't owe me a thing. Was I owed money? Of course everyone was but Paul gave me a chance that no one else would have and because of that I don't think he owes me a dime.

11. Do you feel that the way ECW was run had any effect on your personal life? If so how?

Nope. I always seperate my personal life from my business life.

12. Have you read my article about Paul E.? If so what is your opinion on it? (this is the link incase you want to check it out so you can respond to this question. http://prowrestlingimpact.blogspot.com/2005/03/paul-e-brilliant-mind-or-wwe-puppet.html)

It is a very interesting opinion but I don't think it is true.

13. You have held 38 different titles (5 multiple times). Which is a huge accomplishment! Is there one title that you are most proud of?

There are a few of them. Of course the NWA and ECW World titles were very special. The MLW World title came at a time when Court Bauer could have changed his mind at the last minute but he went with his gut. But my first ZERO-ONE US title was very special because my son was in my corner.

14. You have been spending a lot of time in Japan wrestling. How do you think wrestling is different in Japan than in the US?

Japanese style and American style are very different. The Japanese style is more stiff and based on the basics where the US style is more entertainment based.

15. Who do you feel you have had the best matches with?
Masato Tanaka, Jerry Lynn, Justin Credible, Takao Omori

16. You have also wrestled for ROH. What type of experience was that for you?

ROH has a great product and I had fun while I was there.

17. Do you want to elaborate on why you and ROH parted ways on March 17,2005?

Differences of opinion on way too much stuff and I can't commit to a full time ROH schedule so it seems like a waste to have me there.

18. What do you think of TNA?

Havent watched it in so long.

19. What is your opinion of their 6-sided ring?
Looks cool in pictures.

20. What should we expect to see from you in the coming months?
ZERO1-MAX is finally doing a USA vs. Japan feud so it should be very interesting to see how it comes about. I am very excited about it.

Is there anything you would like to add?

I would like that thank everyone out there for their over 10 years of support and visit stevecorino.com!

Tags: , , , .

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home